Friday, August 19, 2011

Fun with Shapes

I set up another art invitation for Eli last week while Jude took his morning nap.  To make some fun shape collages, I cut out a variety of shapes from different color construction paper and put them in a muffin tin on the table.  Along with the shapes I put out card stock, markers, and glue.


The invitation was quickly accepted.  After a brief moment of deliberation about what to make, Mommy quickly threw out some ideas, and he was off!

 

This is his stegosaurus.  Can you see it?


My favorite part is the teeth....and oh yeah, the rocks by his feet. 

We are definitely still working on the amount of glue to use. Still figuring out the difference between what is the necessary amount and what is the fun amount.


While he worked, he was chatting away.  I decided to write down his comments.
"This is fun being creative."
"I'm going to use white for the rocks. Circles make good rocks."
"Dinosaurs have four legs, so I need four rectangles."
"I need two drops of glue for the rectangles."
"This dinosaur is showing his teeth saying, 'You need to get away NOW!'"
"That glue is too big, so I'll use two triangles."
So fun hearing his thoughts as he worked.  I loved hearing him process and make decisions. After the dinosaur, he decided to make a sun and sky out of triangles and rectangles. (I think I might have it upside down here...)


And then he lost interest in the middle of this random collage....

 

But that is ok.  I kept the extra shapes and will set them out again to see what his creative little mind comes up with next time.



1 comment:

  1. fun! great idea using the muffin tin to sort shapes. and i wanted to let you know that i totally saw the dino before you said it was a stegosaurus! what can i say? i'm an expert, and eli is an artist :)

    ReplyDelete