Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Steel Trap

Eli's memory is kinda scary. Watch out what you let him listen to or watch...he's likely to remember it and repeat it....appropriate or not.

We were driving down the road one day last month, and a favorite song of mine by Matt Nathanson comes on the XM radio. I turn it up, and sing along....as usual. (In fact, you can often catch me singing the chorus of the catchy tune around the house after I've heard it...it gets stuck in my head!) Anyways, back to the car....I'm singing along and all of a sudden a little voice from the backseat starts singing with me during the chorus. His little head bobbing back and forth, grooving to the music:
So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
Not really appropriate lyrics for a 2 year old to be singing. But hilarious at the same time. It probably doesn't help that I laugh at him, give him lots of attention, and turn it up when it comes on, "Hey buddy! You like this one!" The smirk on his face as he sings lets you know that he is proud of himself.

Then the other night, I decided I would start teaching him the "Our Father" to add to his bedtime prayers. I figured I'd go line by line and have him repeat it, only when I started with the first line, he immediately followed it with the second. We did the entire prayer taking turns saying alternating lines. It literally brought tears of joy to my eyes. The boy has been listening and learning in church!! I knew it! I had been thinking that he was picking up on much more than I was giving him credit for. By the following week, he was saying the entire prayer on his own.



2 comments: