Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Childlike Faith, Wonder, & Awe

Eli is definitely getting in the spirit of Christmas. More this year than ever before, and boy has it been fun.


He has had fun picking out presents for others and some for himself...that he wrote in a letter to Santa, and then told him in person today.


The Polar Express has become a fast favorite and has been watched several times...along with other Christmas classics.

Our musical boy has been belting out Christmas songs




(just a sampling of his favorites...others include Do You Hear What I Hear? and Santa Claus is Coming to Town), and even makes up his own.

We have tried very hard to remind him of the "Reason for the Season." He is fully aware that it is Jesus' birthday that we are celebrating at Christmas. The first time we talked about this, Eli immediately said, "Then we have to make Jesus a birthday cake and a card." So we will. I am excited to make this a tradition each year, and I'm even more excited that it was completely Eli's idea. The cake is baked...just waiting to be iced, and we'll make the card Christmas Eve. Of course, we'll be making Santa's cookies that day as well. I'm sure it is a little confusing to his little brain, both Santa and Jesus to sort out. But I think he is getting the best of both worlds. The sacred and the secular. I pray we can continue to balance them each year. And I also pray we can see the holiday through Eli's eyes this year and always. May we experience the wonder of Christmas with some of Eli's childlike faith, wonder, and awe.

Now, I have to get back to wrapping and baking. It is down to the final hours, but we're in the home stretch and still having lots of fun. I wish there was more time....but only because I don't want it to be over yet. So much fun!
_

3 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! Loved our time with you guys today!! I really LOVE Eli's Santa pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post melted my heart....such a sweet, sweet boy!!
    Can't wait to see you in like 7 hours!!

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so precious-- and smart! I'm glad you are teaching him about love and the holidays... maybe he won't give his heart away too easily!

    ReplyDelete