Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Countdown is On!

We are exactly 30 days out from Eli's first trip to Disney World.

He is a little excited...can you tell?

We told Eli last week that we were planning a trip to Disney next month...and so it began:
"Mommy, what day is today?"

"Wednesday."

"Are we going to Disney today?"

"Not today, Eli."

"But, I want to go to Disney!"

"We will...but next month. Not today."

"I want to go today."
....and so on and so on and so on. I decided I would make a countdown paper chain so that Eli could see the days getting closer and understand how many days away the trip is. (And to maybe rein in some of the constant questions about when we are going.)


Today, 30 days out, seemed like a good place to start the countdown. He was excited to see me make and hang the chain yesterday, but was a bit unsure when it came time to tear a link off today. With questioning eyes, he asked me to tear off today's link. I'm sure he'll be ready to do it himself tomorrow!

We are also using the chain to countdown to other exciting events in the coming 30 days. As excited as he is about the Disney trip, he is very much excited about a quick trip to MeMaw and Pap Pap's house this weekend. You know how it goes....
"Mommy, what day is it?"

"Wednesday."

"No, it is Friday!"

"No, baby. Friday is in two days."

"But I want it to be Friday. I wanna go to MeMaw and Pap Pap's house. They have a lotta toys and a chair just the size for me."
I love that he is so excited about visiting his grandparents! We also have a beach trip and Halloween in between now and the trip. The boy has been talking about Halloween for weeks. It only seemed fitting to put these exciting dates on the chain as well.


I know the 30 days will fly by. Can't wait to see our chain get shorter and shorter as it gets closer and closer.
_

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea... very cute. I know you guys will have fun. We hopefully will go in 2010. Have you heard about the promo that they are doing... Volunteer for a day somewhere and get a free day at Disney. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea, Katie! I might steal that for my classroom one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo cute! It's definitely the teacher in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see you guys at Memaw's and PapPap's house!!!

    Love you!!
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. And when did I become MeMaw ??? I always thought I was Grandma ?? But whatever he wants to call me is just fine ;-)

    Disney, eh ... sounds like fun.

    Can't wait to see ya .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the chains, especially how colorful they are! Woohoo for Disney

    ReplyDelete