Tuesday, August 11, 2009

J is for Jamberry

Last week, I asked Eli what book he would like to be our book of the week, and he chose Jamberry by Bruce Degen.

The story has a fun rhyming pattern with a lot of nonsense words...ending in berry. Eli quickly became "Eliberry" for the rest of the week. I, of course, was "Mommyberry." He is starting to understand rhyming...only just beginning though.

We counted and sorted blueberries


and strawberries,


Tasted different berries (blueberry, strawberry, and raspberries) and Jamberry toast,


practiced cutting and gluing while making "Jamberry Pie,"



wrote the letter j,


and colored and glued our own characters from the book.


Eli really liked all of the coloring, cutting, and gluing best. I'm not sure what book we'll be choosing next...and with school starting up, I'm not sure if I should do this in addition to what he's doing at school. I don't want to overload him. Advice? Tips? Anyone? He does like the activities (and so do I...) We'll see. I still really want to make a felt board and do storytelling that way too. I think he will L O V E it!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you could do 1 book a month instead of 1 every week.

    shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! James is just barely getting to the age / temperament where he will sit still long enough to do this kind of thing. Sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute!!!! i've been wanting to do that book, too!

    ReplyDelete