Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to School

It is official, we are Back To School!

We had a rough time going back to school this week, but probably not for the reasons you would expect. Eli was very excited about going to orientation yesterday. He got up, got dressed, picked his shoes, and made his way to the car. Sometimes these things are not easy for Eli to do...especially after a summer of lazy mornings around the house...but he did super. We had packed our breakfast TO GO and as we hit the road, Eli ate his banana and then asked for his granola bar. After fighting the back-to-school traffic in our neighborhood, we were out on the main road and on our way. From the back seat, I hear a cough and then the words, "I barfied, Mommy." I will spare you the gory & vivid details of what I saw in the rear-view mirror as he continued to be sick. Poor thing. Mommy was crying and trying to find a side road to pull over on. Realizing I didn't have much with me to clean, I decided we were close enough to home to head back. Needless to say, we did not make it in to school for orientation.

The rest of the day, Eli was puny and took a champion nap (4 hours!!! ...and I finally woke him up.) By the evening, he was back to his normal, energy-filled self, and then some. It was as if all of the energy he normally has throughout the day was crammed into a couple hours that evening. Whew!

And since he only got sick once and never ran a fever, we passed the "24 hour with no symptoms" rule and were able to go to our first day of school today.


Eli was very excited! Again, he got up and dressed easily. Ate breakfast at home this time! :)


And we made it! It was gradual entry day, so I stayed with him for the shortened school day and tomorrow he will officially be on his own. He loves school and has truly grown up there. He feels very comfortable, supported, loved, and safe at school. I know he will do super on his own tomorrow.


Here's to, what? 15 more "First Days of School." WOW!


2 comments:

  1. My baby boy is growing up so fast. Where has the time gone. ;-(

    Love,
    Grandma C

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Already in school!!! I agree with mom....where has the time gone?? Such a big boy! Keep us posted on his first official day at school by himself!

    Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete