Friday, February 11, 2011

O Internet, How I Missed Thee!

In efforts to increase our internet speed, we changed providers at the first of the month. With rain, came a delay in the new hook up. Or maybe not...just some technical difficulties. Long story, shortened....10 days later, we are back online. Crazy how dependent we get on the internet. Or at least I am. I admit it, I'm a email-checkin'-blog-hoppin'-FB-usin'-aholic. At least I know it.

So here goes my effort to catch up on all that has been going on around here:

I rotate laundry weeks, and the last time it was Jude's laundry day, I discovered a science experiment in his hamper. Ewwwww!!!!


Lesson learned. Don't leave barfy clothes too long or they will mildew and mold. So gross! The entire morning and most of the afternoon was then spent on getting as many of these spots and stains out as possible. There went my day. And sadly, if it wasn't bleach-able, it was ruined. I tried a lot of different things and bleach was the only thing that worked. I boiled in color-safe bleach, I spot treated with diluted bleach, I oxy-cleaned, and I even used my go to stain remover: fels-naptha. And despite all my best efforts, I think 6 or 7 pieces from Jude's wardrobe had to be tossed. Boo. To top it off, the dryer decided to stop working in the middle of all of this laundry drama. It is the 3rd time in 2 years--2nd in just 3 months. Turns out we had been getting the wrong parts to fix it. Once Matt figured that out and got the right parts, we were back in the laundry business. {sarcastic} Wahoo! Well, I guess it is better than shelling out big $$ for a new dryer...or going to a laundromat.

Birthdays were celebrated! My dad and I celebrate birthday's 3 days apart from one another. I turned 35. Ouch. Don't know why that number is hurting my mind so much, but wrapping my head around the fact that I am rolling down the 30's to the 40's is messing with me. Holy guacamole.


Isn't he just the cutest present ever?!?! Love him and all of the chunky rolls he is getting these days. His presence (presents?) in my life...along with Eli....have caused quite a shift in thinking.
An Evolution of Birthdays: Growing up, birthdays were the best! Maybe it was coming from a big family, but I adored my birthday. It was all about me! Celebrate ME! Of course I loved the presents, but it was more than that. I got to pick the dinner and the cake. My opinions and voice was heard loudest of all. Being 1 of 6, I'm sure, made this a big deal. And then it was on to college where birthdays were still fun, but different. Friends and boyfriend (Matt) always did it up right for me. Married-life and working-life birthdays were also still fun. I counted down my birthday with my students every year. There was no chance the students could forget it was my day and that they better be sweet to me. After all, it was my day. Great, but still different. And now, birthdays with babies. Birthdays sneak up on me. No more counting down the days. Maybe it isn't the fact that I have children....maybe it is actually that I don't feel the need to celebrate such OLD ages (just kidding!) Life these days is all about taking care of my beautiful boys. My birthday is still a wonderful day, but it is different than when I was a kid. I feel differently about my day. It is a special day, and it is my day, but I feel more excited about my babies' birthdays than my own. A true evolution.
I couldn't have loved this year's birthday any more. It was a perfect day. Spent it with my boys and getting phone calls and messages from loved ones. And I felt special.

As mentioned, 3 days later, we celebrated Grandpa's birthday on what happened to also be Super Bowl Sunday. We did it up right, Pittsburgh-style, with Primanti Brothers sandwiches.

Yes, there are fries and slaw ON the sandwich!



Yummy! Too bad it didn't bring enough good luck to the Steelers for a victory, but it was still a fun game. The Steelers hung in there and kept coming back, but not enough to win.


Oh well. I still think not having Pouncey in there at center made the difference...and that he should have won Rookie of the Year. (Go Gators!)

The Super Bowl also marks the end of football season. A moment of silence, please.




I'm in mourning as the sporting world takes a major shift for me. March Madness is fun and all, but it isn't football. I skim through the Sports page a lot faster these days. I am a fan of baseball and hockey, but not the way I am with football. Oh football, how I will miss you. Until next season....

And that's all. Hope your February is off to a great start!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Katie! I can totally relate to getting more excited about your kid's birthday than your own -- I guess we ARE growing up! :)

    Glad you're back online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a mean sammy.....memo to self for the future: Don't call to disconnect internet until the new one is installed and working! When we moved in we went about that long and it felt like two months -B

    ReplyDelete