Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tenderhearted

I took Eli to see one of the "free summer movies" offered at a local theater in town. A great way to beat the heat. This week's G selection was Charlotte's Web, and I couldn't resist the desire to show him a classic that I loved in my childhood....only to be surprised that it was the 2006, non-cartoon, remake. Secretly, I was now more excited as this one would be new to me too.

Well, as most of you know (or at least I hope you know...beware...spoiler alert!!), the beloved spider, Charlotte dies after saving Wilbur, the pig, from the smokehouse with her fancy web spinning at the county fair. Eli was devastated.

My little Mr. Sensitive did not just cuddle with me and cry as the credits rolled, but as soon as we were in the car...the waterworks started up again. All the way home, he sobbed while asking questions about the "circle of life" (25 minutes!!!) Through the loss of his grandmother, sadly, he has already learned about death and prays for his loved ones who have passed on every night, but the movie some how stirred up his emotions about it once again. This time he asked me if everyone dies, if he would die, would I die, would Daddy die, when will we die, and so on. It just broke his heart (and mine...), and no matter how much I tried to convince him how awesome Heaven is, he just couldn't stop the tears. I did my best to share what the Word teaches us about death and Heaven; how each day is a gift from God, and that we should do our best to live each day fully.

Have to admit, it reminded me of these truths and the reality of them....

Thankfully, we came home to have lunch and a yummy blueberry popsicle.


And even though the tears were gone, as he played quietly before nap, I heard him talking to his animals about Wilbur and Charlotte, and how Charlotte went to Heaven.

He is such a sweet, tenderhearted soul.....


...who has recently found a love of "Silly Bands."

Love him!


2 comments:

  1. Aw, Katie, I just made a post about how sweet my little man is, too. Doesn't it just tug on your heartstrings? It sounds like he heard all the right things from your explanation -- I admire your ability to keep your head on and really answer his questions, instead of just passing them off or dismissing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness...Eli and T are so like one another with 1 year separating them! Last summer I took T to his first movie, which happened to be Charlotte's Web. My compassionate son too found it to be, as he calls them, a "happy-sad" movie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete