Saturday, July 17, 2010

Any Readers Out There?

I know that most of this blog is dedicated to Eli (now Jellybean too...) and his adventures, likes, and dislikes. Every now and again I throw in a family story or a recipe. I don't think I've ever shared that I'm a reader. Since Eli has been born, I don't read quite as much as I used to, but I still manage to read at least a book a month (thanks to my FABULOUS book club...a shout out for my FLWW!) And since I share Eli's favorite book finds, it is only fitting that I share some of mine as well.

I cannot begin to list all of my favorites, so I will just go with the latest page-turner.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom was an outstanding novel. An honest-to-goodness page-turner. I felt that every scene could have been the climax of the novel; so many ups and downs. Now, I tend to like historical novels...and this one follows suit. It takes place on a tobacco plantation in Virgina in the late 18th century. The story follows the life of an orphaned, Irish indentured servant who, at age 7, comes to live and work with other slaves on the plantation. The dynamics of a white servant living amidst the black slaves is an intriguing one that made for a wonderful story.

Along with historical novels, I tend to favor ones that have very well-written characters; the more the better. Ms. Grissom does not dissappoint....there were characters I loved and characters I loved to hate.

If you are looking for a good read, check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

And on that note....I'm always looking for good reads. It doesn't have to be historical. I also enjoy reading about different cultures or lifestyles that I don't know a lot about. Now, I do read a lot....so many times I get suggestions for books I have already read. Don't let that stop you from throwing a title into the mix. I don't want to let the good ones get away!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds wonderful! I am a sucker for some historical fiction :)

    For nonfiction, I love anything by Bill Bryson, because it is interesting but not so interesting that I have to stay up all night to finish it ;D He does a lot of travel writing, which is nice when you don't have a chance to get out of town, and you wish you did. :)

    For fiction, I love Annie Proulx. Her books are a little weird, but so well written that it is like watching art. That's a terrible explanation, but I really like her books.

    I'm going to check out The Kitchen House! That kind of book is hard to find in adult fiction, and I used to read so much of it in middle school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book suggestion. I haven't been reading as much as I'd like, so I don't have any suggestions. Sadly, my reading has been limited to The Wilson Quarterly for the past two months or so.

    Also, congratulations on another baby boy. I think there is something very special about a same-sex sibling. I'm sure you agree!

    Also, good luck on the name front. It is very hard to find a good mix of unique, but not strange, solid, but not too grown-up, etc... We struggled between Malcolm and Grady until the very end.

    ReplyDelete