Friday, July 30, 2010

Avoiding Work

Back again! Can you tell that there are about eighty bazillion things I should be doing in my house...being productive? But instead, I get sidetracked by blog posts. Much more fun. The housework can and WILL wait (unfortunately...)

This week, I found a cute summer recipe that Eli could help with and that would cool us all down after the 100 degree + heavily humid days.

Watermelon Pie


It was very easy with only 4 ingredients and NO BAKING! That is my kind of summertime treat. I used:
  • lime sherbet - for the rind
  • vanilla frozen yogurt - for the inside of the rind
  • raspberry sherbet - for the fruit
  • and mini chocolate chips - for the seeds

Using a spring form pan, I lined the outer edge with the lime sherbet (after letting it sit on the counter for a bit to soften.)


My outer layer turned out to be a little too wide, so shoot for about an inch wide and mine was about an inch tall as well. I then put it in the freezer to harden the first layer. Next, I added a small vanilla layer inside of the first one, about an inch thick.


I used an icing tool to try to flatten and even out the layers, and as you can see, they weren't perfect, but good enough. And then again, back to the freezer to solidify before adding the middle. While it was hardening, I enlisted the help of my assistant:


Eli helped mix the chocolate chips (while sampling, of course) into the slightly softened red sherbet and added it to the center of our pie.


After letting it all freeze solid, run a thin knife around the edge of the pan, pop off the spring form, slice, and serve.


A very cute and refreshing summer dessert. Eli ate his slice all up and then mooched off of Mommy and Daddy's plates for more.
**********
And on a totally unrelated note, summer is winding down (NOOOOO!!!!!!) Only 2 weeks left before I go back for pre-planning. Sigh! As if that weren't bad enough, Eli had his last gymnastics class of the summer today. They had a free day, complete with a ball pit and other cool equipment.


E loves gymnastics; he loves to hang, climb, and tumble. Forward rolls and the trampoline are favorites. He is a good listener, follows Coach's directions (usually), and remembers the rules like: "Don't. Let. Go!"


Our little monkey is already asking when classes start back up again. Thanks Coach, we had another fun semester.