Thursday, May 14, 2009

Expletives

So yeah, Eli is starting to enter the stage that he repeats everything he hears. This actually isn't all that new, but it is starting to happen daily and it usually has us laughing. He throws our words right back at us.


As much as I don't want to admit it, Eli has been toying around with the F word. That's right...that one. We aren't exactly sure who or where he learned it from...hmmmm.... But he has tried it out a few times with me, and I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not, but he even used it in the proper context; as an expletive. The way he says it, it rhymes with sock. So far, I've just tried to "figure out" what he means by guessing other words.
"What's that, buddy?
You want some socks?
No?
A fork?
The clock?
I don't know what you are saying, buddy."
He looked a little confused, but moved on. He tried it one more time yielding the same results. We'll see if he tries again. In the meantime, it is time to be sure everyone watches their language around the little man.

If you know me well, you know that I've always been sensitive to other people's potty mouths. I did not tolerate it at all in high school and even went as far as suggesting alternative language to my potty mouth friends. Such a goody-two-shoes, I know.

{blush}

So because I'm always substituting my milder expletives when irritated in my day-to-day life, Eli has begun picking up on those too. My favorite of the week is:
Dagnabbit!

Again, he uses it at the appropriate times.

And while at the beach this weekend, Eli was really being a pest while I was trying to dig him a fun hole at the water's edge to play in, as if it were a bathtub or pool. Daddy had figured out how much Eli liked it, and I started digging him more. Eli was working my last nerve as I was trying to make something FUN for him....I stated: "I'm DONE!" and walked away.

Sure enough, when thoroughly frustrated or defeated, I have heard Eli announce, "I'm DONE!" and walk away to bury his face.
All I can do is laugh out loud!

And since I mentioned Eli working my last nerve already, I'll go ahead and admit that it wasn't a one time thing. He's been at it all week long. I'm trying to take the time (while listening to_ignoring_patiently waiting_trying not to cry myself doing my best to tolerate his fits) to reflect on my own behavior to figure out why he reacted that way (i.e. hitting, screaming, melting to a puddle on the floor, yelling "NO!", running away from me, acting out, etc). How can I handle it better so that next time it goes differently? Not surprisingly, I have found room for improvement. But I also tried to be fair and remember, that Eli is 2. From what I hear, the next year, or two....or three(!!) will bring much of the same. All I can do is continue to pray for patience and guidance in handling the day-in/day-out situations.


2 comments:

  1. I found 3 a little more challenging with my little man .... hang in there.

    Love,
    Grandma C

    ReplyDelete
  2. James used to pronounce the "f" word perfectly, although not on purpose - whenever he tried to say "quack quack," as in, the sound a duck makes, it came out "f*** f***." It was kinda funny.

    Also, you are a fabulous mother, and I'm sure you handle Eli's being a two-year-old as well as anyone could. I thought I was a pretty patient person until I became a mother. :)

    ReplyDelete