Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beginning of Birthday Season

I'll start with a big MERRY CHRISTMAS!  Yay for a happy and joyous birthday season that concluded with celebrating Jesus' birth this past weekend.

Uh, yeah.  I've been a tad bit busy around here celebrating all kinds of birthdays.  We've had company back-to-back weekends to help celebrate 3 birthdays (complete with parties) in one week.  Needless to say, it has been a wonderful whirlwind.  Going to do my best to hit the highlights with pictures and captions. 

Eli had the first birthday.  My goofball is 5!!  He loves licking the spoon when making birthday cake and making funny faces.


We threw him a camp out themed birthday party.  Laid back fun in my parents' backyard.  Eli brainstormed a while ago that he wanted to have his friends sleep over in tents for his birthday, so we compromised, and it turned out to be my favorite party he's ever had.  


The kids had a blast running around before it got dark, roasting s'mores by the fire, and then using their flashlight favors to run around in the dark.  Everyone seemed to have a great time, and I really did too.


Overall, it was a fabulous night and it wasn't too much work.  A definite success!  And then a few days later, it was Eli's actual birthday.  I still can't believe he's 5!


I always work hard to be sure Eli feels like his birthday is separate from Christmas and special.  With only 5 days between the two, it can be tough, but I've managed to do it so far.  This year was no different.  Eli woke up to a surprise of crepe paper hanging over his bedroom door, and I surprised him with balloons after school.  This was the first year he was in school on his birthday, so I actually had to make treats for him to bring.  A first!


He chose Chik-Fil-A for lunch, and we even hit up the park for some more birthday fun.  That evening, he chose hotdogs (again!) with mac and cheese for his birthday dinner.  Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Kristi came over to help us celebrate once again.



We wrapped up the night by watching Star Wars.  Eli has been waiting a very loooong time to get to watch Star Wars, and Daddy has been eagerly awaiting to share it with his boy.  As you can see, after some deliberation, we decided to introduce Eli to the movies in the same order that they were made. 


Even though we were unable to finish the movie that night as it got too late, Eli went to bed a happy boy.  He even brought his new Star Wars blaster to bed with him.

And after seeing the idea floating around Pinterest several times, I decided to try and start a new birthday tradition by asking Eli "20 Questions".  I'll ask the same questions each year, and see how his answers change and grow as he does.


I love this kid with my whole heart.  I am having a very difficult time with the concept that his is a "whole hand."

Too much.  Too fast.  He has an attitude much older than his age would suggest, or maybe it is just right. As much as he makes me want to scream, or pull my hair out, or even cry at times, he is also incredibly sweet.  He can melt my heart in the blink of an eye. I love my SUPERhero in the making.  Big boy attitude and all.


2 comments:

  1. Love all the cute, creative things you did for his birthday party. SuperMama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Thumbs Up. I'm planning on watching Episode IV and V soon with the boys. I've been carefully protecting them from knowing that Darth Vader is Luke's father until they actually get to see V.:)

    ReplyDelete