Monday, March 1, 2010

In Memory

In Memory of
Judy Carson


a.k.a. Mom, Mom C, MeeMaw, & Grandma
1.15.45 - 2.23.2010
online obituary and photos
Donations in her memory can be made to Kimberly Home.

Last Tuesday, February 23rd, the world lost a fabulous lady that brightened the lives of those she knew as her battle with ovarian cancer ended. She is finally pain free and at peace after 3 and a half years of fighting and the last 3 months of grueling pain. She fought with vigor and dignity and DID NOT go easily. She baffled all of the doctors and the nurses; fighting much longer and harder than anyone expected.


Before we said goodnight for the evening and headed back to the house for a late dinner last Tuesday, Eli led us as we all held hands with MeeMaw and prayed the Our Father (which coincidentally, the gospel Ann and I heard that morning at church was Matthew 6:7-14). We had been home only a few minutes when the phone call came that she had passed. Tuesday was a crazy day full of all kinds of reasons that she was finally able to let go of her pain here on earth and go to a better place.


We had a whirlwind week as arrangements were made, family arrived, and services were held. Everything was beautiful, and Judy was celebrated, honored, mourned, and remembered.

Eli was her inspiration.


She wanted to see him born and buy him a car on his 16th birthday. In her final days, she said she wasn't ready to go because she needed to see Eli grow up.


Many have asked how Eli handled it all, as he made the 1-2 trips daily visits with us to the hospital. He brought Grandma joy and peace throughout it all. He was a champ and learned to play well in the hospital room, brightening the spirits of all who entered that room with his singing, laughing, and playing.


He also participated in all of the services, wanting to kiss her goodbye each time. One of the many things I dreaded about her passing was having to explain death to Eli, a 3 year old. We did our best, and you know his little brain has been working overtime as he asked such thought-provoking and poignant questions like:
"Is Heaven underground?" (after reading a story about burying a family dog.)

"How do you get to Heaven?"

"Will Grandma fly to Heaven like a bird?"

"Is this Heaven?" (he asked as we arrived for the viewing and was told we were going to see Grandma.)

(and my favorite....which was not a question, but rather a statement) "When you get to Heaven, you are alive again."
Out of the mouths of babes, right? He gets it better than so many of us.


You will never be forgotten, Judy, and our lives are better because we knew you.


You were a great mother-in-law, and I hope to continue to make you proud as your grandson's Mommy. He will always know you as we will keep your memory alive. We love and miss you terribly already.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace.

6 comments:

  1. KT,
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I will keep all of you in prayer. Your post is beautiful. I hope to give you a hug in person sometime soon
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am very sorry for your loss. I'm sure she will not miss a moment of Eli's life - she'll be there.

    It's interesting how when I have spoken to James about death, I always expect him to be scared or traumatized by the concept. He always surprises me by seeming to comprehend it as it truly is - a passing from one life to the next.

    Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift.

    xoxo

    t

    ReplyDelete
  3. KT, I remember when she was diagnosed... what a fight she has put up these last 3.5 years. What beautiful pictures and words you shared about her. I can imagine there is a HUGE hole in you and Matt's {and Eli's} hearts and we will keep y'all in our prayers!!! I think this may be my favorite post you've ever written... such a beautiful memory of a wonderful woman. I know you make Matt so very proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie-
    It was so hard to get through that post. It was so beautiful and I am so impressed with how well you put everything into words. These pictures of her and Eli are simply the best keepsakes you could possibly have. Big hugs to you all! I love you and am here for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,

    Theresa told me about your Mother-In-Law passing. I am so sorry for your loss. This is such a sweet post in honor of her memory.

    I will keep you, Matt, and Eli in my prayers.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks KT for honoring a great woman
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete