Monday, July 1, 2013

Blueberry Pickin'

I was determined to pick blueberries with the boys this year as I am pretty sure we missed out on it last summer. Over the years, I have found a couple of U-Pick farms that are organic and close by. I wanted to try to beat the heat, so we loaded up early one morning and set off on the adventure.


Eli was a great little picker this year. He remembered which ones to pick and really worked hard....sampling a bit as he went, of course.


Jude....oh, Jude. That boy ate a crazylotta berries! Every time I turned around, he was eating more. 


He would steal them from my bucket to put in his bucket...just so he could eat them. When I saw his empty bucket after picking for 30 minutes or so, I asked him, "Jude, where are you blueberries?"


"In my tummy!!!" He was so proud of himself. And I am sure he would have eaten more of mine if I would have let him, but I had to be a blueberry police and protect what I could.


We left once it got too hot for Jonah to suffer through anymore. He was a trouper! 


And despite all the snacking, we managed to pick a couple of pounds. (...the bushes had been a bit picked over too as I went on a Monday after a busy picking weekend...) The big boys had a blast and thanked me for the fun morning....especially when getting all hot and sweaty meant that we could stop for a delicious ice cream treat before heading home. Mmmm. Mommy ended up with the only boo boos of the day (I punctured my cheek on a branch while leaning in for a better picture, and I stepped in a fire ant hill. Ouch!) 

We have been snacking on our harvest here and there...I froze the rest.and plan to use most of them in a blueberry cobbler for the 4th. Yay for blueberries!

1 comment:

  1. Where is Beare's?
    I'm afraid we are too late this year, but I seem to remember we picked them July 4th two years ago?
    we picked blackberries four weeks ago, but the were not ripe; so disappointing!
    LOVE Eli's Harry A's shirt :)

    ReplyDelete