Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Budding Artists

I like to consider myself to be kinda crafty.  I like to make things, and I like them to look good.  ...I'm kinda a perfectionist too.  I started doing art projects with Eli when he was young, and quickly had to adjust my level of expectations.  He didn't seem to inherit my crafty genes.  Sometimes I would even abandon a project because it wasn't turning out the way I wanted it to turn out.

I would say I have come a long way since those early days...I am much more hands off these days and Eli's art skills have really been developing recently.  Coincidence?  Hmmm...  Lately, he is into drawing and loves to try and copy drawings.  He is aware of coloring, but often asks for help.  Eli colors slowly (I think he is trying to be sure it is neat and "in the lines"), and therefore he loses interest before a picture is fully colored.  I often get recruited to finish coloring the pictures in.  A few examples of his latest creations:

The "Batmobile"

a rocket he copied off the back of his box of colored pencils
(he asked me to draw the stars for him)

a storm he painted at school last week

He really is enjoying it and is so proud of what he draws, paints or creates.  With this new interest in art, I have purchased a few more supplies for him to create with here at home.  Recently, we busted out the paints...for both boys.  Finger paints for Jude and tempera paints for Eli.

Across the table, Eli was having a blast of his own...trying out all of the different colors and the brushes.
 _

Jude finished pretty quickly, and immediately got plopped in the bath for clean up time.  


When I came back downstairs, I was blown away by Eli's rainbow and cave painting.  He has come a long way.  I love the new masterpieces I have to display now. 




1 comment:

  1. Wow, Eli is quite the budding artist! You are a brave mom for letting the kids get so artsy too!!!

    ReplyDelete