Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shopping is a Pleasure

Eli likes to help me shop. As some blog-faithfuls may remember, he does NOT always like to ride in the cart and remember his good behavior, but he enjoys frequenting Publix and Target with me...often requesting a stop at the latter.

The fascination with helping me pay, especially with the debit card, at checkout began a while back. We started by practicing colors: "Push the green button for me, Eli." He also seemed satisfied by being able to hold the card and put it in and out of my wallet. Gradually, he moved on to practicing shapes: "Tap the big rectangle," and finally numbers. I would tell him my PIN one digit at a time, and he would happily mash each one.


Little did I know that my memorizing monster was busy storing away each step of the process. One shopping trip to Publix a month or so back, he asked to swipe the card. I was busy chatting with the cashier and handing over coupons as I hear Eli say, "All finished." I check the screen and it says, "Processing transaction."
"Buddy, did you push the numbers already?"

"Yes. (duh!!)"

"What numbers did you push."
To my surprise, shock, and a bit of horror mixed with pride, Eli rattled off my PIN with ease. Again, with a *duh* in his voice. The little booger had memorized it.


So, now when we are shopping, we tend to stun most cashiers as he completes the payment process from beginning to end without any help from me. Of course, I stand over him and watch to be sure no mistakes are made or in case gets adventurous and starts asking for cash back or something like that. The looks on the faces are priceless.

I am sure I will one day regret his knowledge of my PIN and how to spend Mommy's money at such a young age, but for now, it is fun for him. Worst case, I have to change my number, right?


I know it isn't the first time I've said it, his mind is a steel trap! Crazy how much he remembers....
***about this pencil: he adores this "little pencil." it is actually his second one as he lost his first one on the playground at school. his favorite place to keep it is behind his ear, and he displays it with pride.***

No comments:

Post a Comment