Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A New Favorite

I put out an all call for recipes last month, and I got....drum roll, please....


ONE!


That's right, one recipe. I have sent an email out to the sender (Thanks, Donny!) asking if I could publish it because it is definitely up there on my list of favorites. I've already made it twice, and both times, those eating with us asked for the recipe as well. I'll post it for you guys as soon as he gives me the "green light." Definitely a new favorite around here.

But, I have another new favorite that I've also made twice since reading it: once for company and once for my sister's birthday dinner.

Stuffed Chicken Breasts


Ingredients
  • 1 12-ounce jar marinated artichokes, drained, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup grated Fontina cheese
  • 1/2 cup (packed) drained, coarsely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (Roasted red peppers, drained, would work here, too.)
  • 2-3 tablespoon fresh basil
  • 4 5-ounce skinless boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to brown chicken in - or olive oil
Options: (I used spinach and a little bacon both times and it was awesome!)
  • Capers, drained
  • Spinach, chopped
  • Pancetta or bacon, crisped and cut/torn into pieces
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Mix artichokes, cheese, tomatoes, and basil in medium bowl.
  3. Using small sharp knife and working with 1 chicken breast at a time, cut 2-inch-long slit horizontally into 1 side of chicken breast. Move knife back and forth in slit to form pocket.
  4. Fill chicken pockets with as much as you can fit in there. (**Note: The recipe calls for wayyyy more stuffing than will actually stuff the chicken breasts. The remainder filling mixture would be great for a frittata, pasta, etc. I made a frittata with it once and it was tasty! ).
  5. Press edges to seal. (**Note 2: If bulging a lot, can close with a toothpick, which I have done both times.)
  6. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
  7. Heat oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add chicken; cook 3-5 minutes.
  8. Turn chicken over; transfer skillet to oven. Bake until cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
  9. Let sit for 3-5 minutes before slicing.
I found the recipe here, and the author suggested risotto and asparagus as pairings for the dinner. I have done risotto both times, but green beans instead of asparagus one time. Both vegetables worked nicely.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment